Sunday, January 27, 2008

Yes, I Remember You

Yes, I Remember You
Yes I remember you
I saw you on the screen today
Your words I remember
You in a doper’s haze for all the world to see

You knew more than me in sixty-eight
Still smarter than me now
Screaming stop the war again
Trade the rifle for the plow

We were better men than you back then
Our sons are better still
Once again they go to fight and die
While you talk of the Bill

You damned the draft in sixty-eight
Heck no, you wouldn’t go
We stopped the draft just for you
But the patriot you don’t know

Don’t claim to care about our sons,
Your words are never true
You claim I don’t know you now,
But, yes I remember you

You burned my flag, damned my name
Your story so untrue
Today in the halls of power you stand
But I remember you

Hand over heart and eyes closed
You stand before my flag
But I remember way back then
When you treated her like a rag

So prattle on about honor boy
Tell how war makes you blue
Avert your gaze as I stare you down
Because, yes I remember you


Major Mark "Zippo" Smith, USA, Ret.

Labels: , , , , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home