Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lucky Gunner Blogger Shoot - FINALLY!

Finally! Real life has.....stopped intruding. Technical difficulties have been overcome.
I have returned.
Here is the long awaited (at least by me) Lucky Gunner Shoot blog post.

First of all, I want to thank everyone at Lucky Gunner Ammo for the invitation and for all the hard work that they put into the extravaganza. It was a great event!

Soooo, let's get this party started.


LUCKY GUNNER BLOGGER SHOOT!!!!!

The sound of automatic weapons came through the closed window when we pulled over onto the shoulder to await our turn to drive up the "mountainside." It was irresistible. I had to roll down the window. A big, happy grin became permanently affixed on my face. It just got bigger after I fired my first automatic weapon. I've heard of the "machine gun smile." Its true.

The first impressions were AWESOME! The crashed glider was brilliant!

And then, "LOOK! A TANK!" And that was by me..... not by 11 year old Darling Daughter. She was soooooo envious.

Making that first turn to the guard post just increased my excitement. HOT CHI...uh, I mean Re-enactors!

We weren't in Kansas anymore.....

My wife pulled into the parking lot and we sat there for a moment......listening to the racket. My first thought was, "I have a wonderful wife. She lets me do things like this, even though its not her thing." Thanks, honey.

And then I got out of the car, kissed the wife and kid, and marched off to the sound of the guns.


And what guns!

Cannons!
Anti-tank! Machine guns! Oh, my! I didn't know where to look or go first. So I wandered about, taking pics and videoing at random. (I really need to take a course or something.....)

Yellow shirts were everywhere. Who knew that the gun blog universe was that big? Green and Grey were there too. The WWII re-enactors were the icing on the cake. And anybody willing to wear wool in that heat definitely deserves a beer for their dedication. And their toys! Tanks, half-tracks, jeeps, motorcycles.

So, there I was, watching people fire more automatic weapons than I've seen in 25 years in the Navy. (Navy! D'uh! We don't shoot guns in the Navy. Heck, I was issued a 30 year old, shaky .45 and 2 magazines to stand watch. The pistol was unloaded.) In the Reserves we were teased with the possibility that we might, if we were good, maybe, get a chance to "familiarize" ourselves with the M-60. Then we found out, "familiarize" doesn't actually mean "shoot." Frickin' tease!

So what did I shoot? Well, I had try out that weapon of mass destruction, the Glock 18. And to the reporters out there, let's clarify:

This is a Glock 18.






Not this. This is what you guys in the press usually envision when talking about a Glock 18.




It was fun. And I can absolutely, positively, without a doubt tell you with certainty, that an untrained person firing one on full auto will kill the sky after the first 2-3 rounds.



Then I had to try out my first evah submachine gun! That S&W "Swedish K" M-76 was just the thing. I was always surprised that the ammo disappeared so fast.....Where did it go?



Then I tried out the evil black rifle. The original. The M16. God I love Mattel!

I joke! I joke!

So, shooting that rifle was a surprise. It had a surprising kick and was not as controllable on auto as I expected. But, WOOHOOO!

After that, I just wandered a bit. I found some industrious bloggers loadin' up. Happy bloggers!


The first day was wonderful. So much so that I can't put it all into one post. More later.

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

Labels: , , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home