Monday, July 23, 2007

An idea whose time has come?

The Jihad-sedition law.

By Paul J Cella of Redstate.com

My call last week for a Jihad-sedition law stirred up a hornet’s nest. While it was not a new idea, I often forget that what is old hat to me may be new and shocking to others. I also must take some blame for some misinterpretations — because the simple fact is that my writing, in one paragraph in particular, was a convoluted mess.

So here, in legal and more precise language, is what I propose:

An amendment to 18 U.S.C. § 2385 which, taking specific cognizance of the current threat from Islam, establishes that the preaching of Jihad is tantamount to knowing and willful advocacy of “overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States”; that whoever, in accordance with the doctrine of Jihad, “prints, publishes, edits, issues, circulates, sells, distributes, or publicly displays any written or printed matter advocating, advising, or teaching the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States” shall be “fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.”

(An additional method of accomplishing the same object would be to outlaw the promotion of sharia law. The Constitution guarantees a republican form of government; the establishment of sharia would perforce overthrow that form of government; it follows that our sedition law may criminalize the promotion of it. In short, sharia is incompatible with the republican form of government. However, for the purposes of this post, I will limit myself to the prohibition of Jihad.)

...As I wrote last week, I would like that faction I have called Totalitarian Islam to “stand naked” before the law “without the shelter of the civil liberties which it seeks to obliterate.”

Check out the comments too.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home