Friday, March 23, 2012

Of Course, He's Turning In His Grave

March 23, 1775
Give me liberty...

Patrick Henry delivered his famous "give me liberty or give me death!" oration in St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia on this day. The famous phrase is in part derived from the play, Cato, A Tragedy, which was well-known to all the founding fathers.

Personal Note:
I used to help out a friend who had a greenhouse and supplied area churches with Easter Lilies. One of my drops was St John's Church. My best friend Billy and I stood in the church one day after delivering the shipment of lilies. The feeling was indescribable. Knowing I was standing in the very spot Patrick Henry stood and told everyone it was time to walk the walk gave me goose bumps. I could almost see the members, hear Mr Henry's voice. If you're ever in Richmond and have the time, I assure you, it's worth your time.

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home