Monday, January 18, 2010

Report from Scott Brown Rally

H/T to brother Marine RaceBannon who was on the ground yesterday at the Scott Brown Rally, and to FreeRepublic.com.

"WE WILL USE OUR TAX DOLLARS TO PROVIDE WEAPONS TO KILL TERRORISTS AND NOT USE TAX DOLLARS FOR LAWYERS TO DEFEND TERRORISTS!"

Race's report is below:

Wow, what a GREAT day!
I got there about 1300, the sky was overcast, chilly, and saw about 6 supporters with signs in two locations as I drove to the Mechanics Hall in Worcester to see and hear Scott Brown.

I struck up conversations with several former Marines on site early like me along with their wives Most of us early birds were outsiders, not local, while locals drove by waving hands, beeping horns, many many thumbs up and literally only THREE thumbs down! NOT ONE Democrat IQ salute! Not one shouting of obscenities that I heard toward us!

The crowd gathered slowly but enthusiastically, with many Hartford Tea Party people there, like Wayne, Robin and Stan, June, Rusty and Tanya. All were in fine spirits.

I met with Freeper Electric Strawberry by pure chance, he hear me leading chants for Scott Brown from across the street and we had a hearty reunion!

As the crowd grew in size, the enthusiasm grew with it and soon we had over 2000 people on the sidewalks and outer lanes of a 4 lane road in front of Mechanics Hall. This was by 1400. Wow, what a crowd. They all loved cheering, singing, all had homemade signs with plenty of signs provided by the campaign which were waved with enthusiastic vigor.

The bus holding the main part of Scott Brown's campaign arrived about 1530 to much thunderous applause. The cars all had to squeeze by in a single lane, taking
turns in each direction until the police shut down the streets and the people spread out in full in front of Mechanics Hall.

I was stunned, all 4 lanes were filled with people as were the sidewalks, with a clear 2000 to 3000 people standing outside that I could tell for sure, but that assessment changed rapidly.

At 1600 the doors opened and a small throng entered the building where Scott would speak and a tiny handfull of people entered that was apparent. I am unsure of the seating capacity, but the building looked to hold at least 350 to 500 max inside, just a guess from looking, I didn't look it up.

After being told that the building capacity was filled, we heard an announcement from a campaign staffer that two additional locations were available for viewers and
I went to Lexington Hall, one of the banquet rooms at the Crown Plaza Hotel on Main street.

The throng of people that moved down the street, I watch for 1 minute as people moved and then turned to go myself and was stunned. I didn't see many people go by men, only a hundred or so, but in front of me were over 1000 people walking toward the hotel with another 500 to 750 still to leave the front of the Mechanics Hall! I had NO IDEA where the people came from who were walking ahead of me but the number was huge!

Inside the hotel, we were led to a large banquet room where I heard differing amounts on the maximum occupancy, but I would have guessed it was 350 seated at tables maximum, only that room had no tables and everyone was standing shoulder to shoulder with the number estimated over 1000 to 1200 people!

I mean it was like Sardines! It was AWSOME!

They had a 10’ by 10’ screen that projected the speech given by the speakers, which included several local sports talk guys who played for the patriots, George Ratzenberger who played Cliff on Cheers, Doug Flutie from Boston College HAIL MARY days, with Doug Flutie introducing Scott Brown!

Scott gave a professional speech with one line that stuck in my mind most of all:
I hope I have it correctly, but it went like this: WE WILL USE OUR TAX DOLLARS TO PROVIDE WEAPONS TO KILL TERRORISTS AND NOT USE TAX DOLLARS FOR LAWYERS TO DEFEND TERRORISTS!
That line brought down the house!

Scott finished with his family behind him and announced he was coming to the Hotel
where I was to make us know we were not forgotten.

After his quick speech which he had to give through a megaphone due to a technical malfunction from the hotel, I got in line to shake his hand and give him a souvenir from the DUMP DODD Campaign: One of the final DUMP DODD Campaign buttons. I told him what it was and where it came from and told him it is his good luck charm! If the people of Connecticut can get rid of Dodd, we have hope in You, Scott!
He looked at me, looked at the button, looked at me...he absolutely appeared stunned at the support he was getting.

In his speeches he referred to how he knew this was a race of national importance, but I'd bet it was small gestures like that, from someone out of state to wish him well, I'd bet he is thankful for all our efforts and time spent well.

All in all, it was such a positive rally.

Learning that Martha Coakly poo pooed shaking hands at Fenway with the little people, knowing she said there were no terrorists in Afghanistan...my gosh, if she wins, it is proof of voter fraud.

I had a dozen people tell me they were lifelong democrats and were voting for Scott. UNION members telling me they were voting for Scott.

What a great time. By the way, we can all say one great thing: We may not be old enough to know of the Shot heard round the world, but we are all living to know of THE SCOTT heard round the world!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home