Thursday, January 07, 2010

Case against Navy Seals falling apart?

From Navy Times:

Maj. Gen. Charles Cleveland, commander of Special Operations Command, Central Command, wrote the justification in a Dec. 15 response to Indiana Republican Rep. Dan Burton’s call on behalf a group of 40 lawmakers who want all charges against the SEALs dropped.

“Regrettably, it appears that your perception of the incident is based on incomplete and factually inaccurate press coverage,” Cleveland wrote. “Despite what has been reported, these allegations are not founded solely on the word of the detainee, but rather, were initially raised by other U.S. service members.”

Cleveland said all these allegations were fully investigated by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.
Apparently, the General is incorrect.
Navy prosecutors have asked a judge to delay the trials of two SEALs accused in connection with the alleged assault of a reported al-Qaida terrorist — apparently because of evidence issues.

Both Puckett and Lombardi say the government’s request seems to be related to the evidence in the case where little has yet been released to the defense attorney’s because of classification reviews.

Both Lombardi and Puckett say much of the government’s case so far is based on the statements of a third class master-at-arms who claims to have witnessed the alleged assault.

Both lawyers say the five separate statements given by that sailor appear to conflict with each other. Neither lawyer could discuss the exact details of the statements.

“I have read five different statements by this person, and all appear to be different,” Lombardi said.

Pete Randall at RedState has more.

Labels: ,



Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home