Thursday, May 01, 2008

Permission to go ashore

The Watch

For twenty-five years
This sailor has stood the watch

While some of us were in our bunks at night
This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade
This shipmate stood the watch

Yes.. even before some of us were born into this world
This shipmate stood the watch

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the horizon of history
This shipmate stood the watch

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there
Needing his guidance and help
Needing that hand to hold during those hard times
But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years
He stood the watch so that we, our families and
Our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety, Each and every night
Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say
'Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
Relieved by those You have trained ,Guided, and Lead
Shipmate you stand relieved.. we have the watch..."

"Boatswain..Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore.."


In April of 1983, a young man went to sea. He went for adventure, for patriotism, and for a job. And for 25 years, Active and Reserve, he has had a wonderful time. That man is me. Today is my last day of service in the best Navy of the greatest country in the world, for tomorrow I will be a civilian. I will be A retired Reservist.

I have seen, and been a part of, history, being made. I've met heroes and, well, others. I've met admirals, generals, and Presidents. I have hugged a First Lady. I stood in ranks as one President was replaced by another, and listened to the cheers of Marines when I told them that the new President had been sworn into office.

I have traveled all over the world, over 15 countries and territories, through every sea except the poles. I have met people from every country in the world. I've had beer in countries as varied as Ireland and Qatar, Kobe Beef in Okinawa, and the best chinese food I've ever eaten in ...France.

Some of the greatest memories one could ever have. I see the coral reefs and the togas of Diego Garcia (don't ask). I see the deserts of Kuwait. I see the green of Ireland from our stop on the way home. I remember the sound of my squadron taking off; the hawks dodging the P-3 Orions as my squadron conducted ops. I see the ocean from the deck of my ship, USS El Paso, the dolphins, and the flying fish. And the glorious stars that can only be seen at sea. I remember the crowds of Hong Kong. I remember the mountains and Sequoias in California. And finally, I remember meeting my wife, for the Navy is what brought me to Virginia.

The people with whom I have served are the finest people in the world. I am proud to have known every single one of them. I salute them.

Thank you, America, for allowing me to serve you for so long.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home