Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Second-503rd, GoE on the Hill, Vets for Freedom

Well, as they say, "the best laid plans of mice and men...etc".
The flu I had been beating back with a stick all week, finally took the stick away from me and started beating me with it on Friday afternoon, right in the middle of a brake job I was performing on my Dodge Ram. I spent the next 28 hours in bed, so Saturday's trip to Fayetteville was a bust. I managed to recover in time to make my DC trip.

I had the distinct privilege of spending Sunday 6 April with some of the finest young men and women this country has ever produced.
I joined TankerBabe, YankeeMom, Gunnutt, and Ma Bell, Taco's Mom, at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for a day of lunch and games with members of the Second-503rd BCT from the 173DABN. We were also graced by YankeeMom's daughter, who looks just absolutely gorgeous in ACU's. I'm a sucker for a woman in ACU's. My heart is still beating a bit faster than normal. She's a vet tech. Veteranarian's Technician for the Army.

Most of these young men were from Chosen Company, but I was thrilled when I found out that one of them was from Destined Company, my adopted unit. Chris is a very squared away young man of 26, who was leader of Dragon Platoon until an RPG bounced off his turret shield and exploded a few feet away. The explosion caused some memory loss. He hates not being back. On our way to Dave & Busters I had the opportunity to express my respect and gratitude for his service and explain to him that in my world, he's paid his dues. I see a long-term freindship on the horizon with this young man. He has all the makings of a good designated driver.

We took them to Dave & Busters. It was my first time at this resturant/gaming establishment.
Kinda like Chuckie Cheese with alcohol and grown-ups.
Well, let me clarify. TB took them to Dave & Busters. The rest of us were just along for the ride. TB was very adamant about this. We had a great time. The men of the Second-503rd are perfect examples of what is right with this Nation.

Monday, TB spent her time with Uncle Jimbo from Blackfive, while YankeeMom and I joined Gathering of Eagles for our Day on the Hill.
30 hardy souls broke up into teams of 5 and started walking the halls of the Cannon Building, Longworth Building and Rayburn Building, delivering our message of support for the troops, victory in Iraq, and our unwavering support for and confidence in the current CMNF-Iraq, General David Petraeous.
Together, we visited the offices of 437 Congresspeople, spoke our minds, left our position paper, and reinforced the sentiment that we represent thousands of like-minded Americans who could not be there. I have a boxful of business cards from these offices and I will pester these people unmercifully until our victory in Iraq is secured and the Iraqi people are free to make their own decisions.

With all of this accomplished, TB, YM and myself paid another call to Chris at Walter Reed Monday afternoon. TB insisted we stop by Safeway and we made sure this young Warrior was well-supplied for what appears to be an extended stay at WRAMC.

I have to go to work for a few minutes..more later
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home