Tuesday, February 19, 2008

CASTRO RESIGNS! CASTRO RESIGNS!

A lifetime of waiting, for some, is over. The dictator of Cuba has resigned. Castro has announced that he is not returning to power. Thus ends nearly a half century of iron fisted dictatorship. This, however, does not mean that Cuba is yet free. His successor Raul Castro, however, is as much of a tyrant as his brother. The people of the world must still wait for freedom to blossom in Cuba.

"To my dear compatriots, who gave me the immense honor in recent days of electing me a member of parliament ... I communicate to you that I will not aspire to or accept -- I repeat not aspire to or accept -- the positions of president of the Council of State and commander-in-chief," Castro said in a statement published in the Communist Party's Granma newspaper.
(Full text in english)

President George W. Bush, said he hoped Castro's retirement would mark a new era in Cuba. (See President Bush's reaction.)

"I believe that the change from Fidel Castro ought to begin a period of a democratic transition," Bush said in Rwanda during a tour to Africa. "Eventually this transition ought to lead to free and fair elections. And I mean free and I mean fair."

Cuba's National Assembly, a rubber-stamp legislature, is expected to nominate Castro's brother and designated successor Raul Castro as president. The 76-year-old defense minister has been running the country since emergency intestinal surgery forced his brother to delegate power on July 31, 2006.

Let us hope that the people and rulers of Cuba will use this opportunity to throw off the chains of an outdated, mistaken, dangerous philosophy and embrace freedom in the 21st Century.

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home