Thursday, April 26, 2007

Message From Lt. Ala

Need anything more be said?

Written by JD Johannes
Tuesday, 24 April 2007

I had just finished shooting a range with a group of Iraqi Sergeants when their Commanding Officer, Lt. Ala took hold of my right hand and pulled me close to him.
He had something important to tell me.

When I first met Lt. Ala his first words "Enta used to Marine."

Somehow he was able to pick the remnants of Marine out in me.
As I drifted in and out of Camp Habbaniyah shooting footage of the Jenude at basic training and the Sergeants at the advance weapons courses, he would always make it a point to say hello and to strike up a conversation with me.
Today, one of the Aareefs was sick so I took his place shooting hammered pairs, hammered pair failure drills and controlled pairs along side the Iraqi soldiers.
At the end of the range, I was walking back to the truck. The soldiers were showing off their targets, the Lt. asked to see mine. I shot better than most of his men, but he expected as much from a former Marine.
After inspecting my shot groups he took my hand and pulled me close.

"Thank you for being here. Thank you. You are a reporter? Tell America how much we appreciate Marines. Tell the people thank you and that we want the Marines, the Army here to help us."

As he looked at me, the gravity on his face not that of a 1st Lieutenant, but of a man who was a field grade officer in the former regime, who grew up in a country constantly at war and in tyranny. Lt. Ala joined the army under Sadaam because it was one of the few ways for a man to support his family.

He joined the new Iraqi Army because he wants a life for his family that is better than one of war. He fought the Americans twice, lost both times and says we offer a better life for Iraq than the terrorists.

"Tell America that the Iraqi Army is growing. We are getting stronger. Tell them thank you."

He then pulled me closer and air kissed me on the cheeks.
I am thankful for men like Lt. Ala.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home