Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Legacy of SSgt. Donald C. May, Jr.



SSgt. Donald C. May, Jr. was the first Virginian killed in the Iraq War. I remember hearing his mother speaking with dignity and grace on WRVA in Richmond about her son and was filled with admiration for her courage and sympathy for her heartache. He left behind a beautiful young wife and three little ones, the last born 2 months after he died. A beautiful legacy indeed.

Hat tip to the Tanker Brothers


Edit: After I posted this, Master Gunner of The Tanker Brothers left a link in the comments to a moving tribute he wrote for SSgt. Donald May, his wife and children.
While nothing I could ever say would make up for the loss of this brave and talented Non-Commisioned Officer, I can say that I personally feel what a catastrophic loss SSgt. May's death is for our Armored Force. And I feel like I have lost a brother-in-arms.
Even over three years after that tragic day in Iraq, when SSgt. May's tank went over a bridge and into the Euphrates River, the pain of that loss still affects the men and women who looked up to, trusted, and respected SSgt. May.
from Master Gunner's Tribute
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home