Saturday, August 05, 2006

To thine own self be true

Since I am a fiscal conservative AND a social conservative, I must occasionally comment on Hollywood and the influence of the doings & daring-do from the left coast. Has anyone NOT heard that Mel Gibson made an A** of himself?

My first reaction was “Well, in spite of the debate on whether Catholics are Christians; he must be a Christian since this embarrassment is SO IMPORTANT”. I’ll admit it was a pundit on O’Reilly that really provoked me to consider the larger picture. This gentleman pointed out that Mel had apologized using various outlets and his apology had been acknowledged and accepted by various groups such as the Anti-Defamation League. I wish I could remember the gentleman’s name, his salient point was as follows: the conservatives of this country are the ones that should take the responsibility of dealing with Mel. According to this guest of Mr. O’Reilly's: it behooves us, you and me, to explore why Mel said these heinous things and bring accountability. As you can imagine I’ve been pondering this and confess that I have not been moved to embrace “group guilt”. Because of my belief in personal responsibility I cannot be moved much further than distant empathy (when I am reminded that Mel was nurtured and molded by a proud holocaust-denying anti-Semite). My family contains an A** or two and I submit to you that most families do.

If I could afford to publish an open letter to Mr. Gibson it would read thusly:

Dear Mel, Your fans love you and your foes hate you. Such will it always be. Please talk to the foes and fans in your family and among your intimates. Explore why you said those heinous things. Seek forgiveness from those who love you for all the other ways in which you are probably an occasional A**. Extend mercy to those who hate you in whatever way the Lord Yeshua leads you to. Please leave Hollywood. You could follow Muhammed Ali’s example: do good works and live out your days seeking honest peace. Be a true conservative. Move slowly and thoughtfully, judiciously. For those of us without an ax to grind: you’re just another flesh & blood man. Remember the advice Polonius gave his son & know that you’ll always be my favorite Hamlet. Shalom
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home